The following are examples of the type of dispute Julian has been involved in:
Construction and Infrastructure
• Long running dispute involving 4 parties arising out of a development on the Brighton sea front. This involved 2 adjudications, 2 mediations and a 2 week preliminary issues trial.
• Development of a hotel in Bournemouth. The principal issue revolved around whether the roofing contractor was a direct contractor or a sub-contractor to their contractor.
• Disputes spanning a number of years in connection with developments in Guernsey, Heathrow and Wigan. This has involved a number of adjudications and continual project advice.
• Claim against the designers and the contractors arising out of a collapse of a car park at a mixed-use development at Cambridge Lakes.
• Claims brought by and against a University college in respect of a project to upgrade their science laboratories.
• Claims arising from the development of a superstore and the creation of a new site for a football club at a former gasworks site near Coventry.
• Claims arising out of the delayed construction of Wembley stadium.
• Arbitration arising from the refurbishment of Smithfield Market
Oil, Gas & Petrochemical
• Arbitration in relation to a multi-million pound dispute arising out of the fabrication of a tension leg platform for use in the Hutton field in the North Sea.
• Arbitration in relation to the Dublin–Cork gas pipeline,
• Arbitration in connection with the construction of an onshore/offshore gas pipeline along the Saudi/Kuwait border.
• Claims relating to delay and disruption brought by French contractors in connection with a hydro-electric programme in Fiji
Utilities & Process
• Claim against the Local Authority arising out of a series of PFI contracts relating to a waste processing plant in Swansea.
• Adjudication arising out of the contract for a new wastewater treatment works and new sludge treatment centre at Worsham Ridge, Bexhill.
• Claim in connection with the supply, fabrication, testing and delivery of a 30m high Fired Heater at the BP Grangemouth Project.
• Arbitration in Zurich in respect of a claim brought against English contractors by Yugoslav employers arising out of the design, construction and commissioning of five fertiliser plants in Yugoslavia.
• Claim arising out of a coil failure in an Oxo Reactor in a chemical plant in France.
• Claims by statutory undertakers arising from damage to cables, pipes and other plant during construction works.
• Subsidence claims arising from tree root damage.
• Pollution claims arising from escape of solids etc into rivers during construction.
• Roof damage due to storms
Julian has also been involved in resolving disputes relating to the following:
• EU Procurement
• Fire Claims
• Nuclear and other Power
• PFI and PPP
• Professional Negligence
• Water damage and floods